RICA stands for the Regulation of Interception of Communications and provision of communication‑related information Act.
It is a law passed by the South African government that requires ALL cellphone users to register their numbers.
The aim of this legislation is to help law enforcement agencies to identify cellphone users and track criminals using cellphones for illegal activities. Internet Republic is lawfully required to RICA every Internet Republic SIM Card with the required RICA documents before you can take delivery.
Get your RICA docs ready
VALID PROOF OF RESIDENCE
- Bank Statement or Municipal Bill (not older than 3 months)
- Cellphone or Retail Account (not older than 3 months)
- Existing lease, Rental or Credit Agreement (Valid for the current Year)
- Insurance Policy (Valid for the current Year)
- Current TV or Motor Vehicle License document that includes your name and residential address (Valid for the current Year)
If you live in an informal settlement you can provide a letter and/or affidavit from a school, church or retail store where you receive your post (this letter must be on an official letterhead or have the stamp of the school, church or retail store).
VALID IDENTITY DOCUMENTS
- Green bar‑coded ID document
- Smart ID
- Temporary ID certificate issued by Home Affairs
A driver’s license is NOT an acceptable form of ID for RICA.
YOU CANNOT RICA WITH SOMEONE ELSE’S DOCUMENTS
- Only the RICA documentation of the person present can be accepted.
- If the person who ordered is not available, the person receiving the SIM Card needs to RICA on their behalf with THEIR OWN documents, i.e. the documents of the person who is receiving the SIM Card.
EACH SIM CARD REQUIRES ITS OWN RICA DOCUMENTATION
- If you buy multiple SIM Cards from Internet Republic, you will need copies of your RICA Documents each time and for each one.
ORIGINAL DOCUMENTATION REQUIRED
- We CANNOT accept photocopies of your Identity Document or Proof of Residence without the ORIGINAL documents being present when receiving the SIM Card.
- If you do not have the documents available, the courier may make another appointment, or the goods may be returned to Internet Republic.